1. The Paris Opera Garnier has 1900 seats
2. The crystal chandelier weighs
A. 4 tons
B. 8 tons
C. 10 tons
3. The Opera Garnier is the…
…opera house in Paris
4. The Opera Garnier was constructed under which leader
A. Napoléon III
B. Louis XIV
C. Napoléon 1er
5. Charles Garnier, whose name is still attached to the building was the architect who won the contest to design the opera. He was
A. 55 years old
B. 40 years old
C. 35 years old
6. The French opera and ballet were founded in 1669 by Louis XIV
7. The Grand staircase is made of
B. several kinds of marble
8. The Opera Garnier offers guided tours daily.
9. The other Opera in Paris is called the Opéra Bastille. In what year was it built?
10. The official name of the Paris Opera is
A. The Paris Opera
B. The Palais Garnier
C. The Opera Garnier
11. The chaedlier in the auditorium weighs
A. 10 tons
B. 7 tons
C. 2 tons
The auditorium ceiling was painted by
B. Rosa Bonheur
C. Marc Chagall
1A; 2B; 3C; 4A; 5C; 6B The Opéra was founded in1669, but the ballet was founded as a separate entity in 1713; 7B; 8A; 9A; 10B; 11B; 12 A & C – the original ceiling was painted by Lenepveu and Chagall did the second ceiling in 1964.
If you only got half the questions right take the guided tour at the Opéra to learn more about the history of the building, the people involved, the allegorical decoration and to see the wonderful ballet costumes displayed in the foyer!